Thursday, May 5, 2022

Who Am I?

 

Candidate Biography

I have been a Unitarian Universalist for fifteen years. I am a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Rutland and have served on our board of trustees for six years. I've been active within my church throughout my membership, and am especially proud of the work I and my congregation did to welcome Syrian refugees to our city in 2016-2017. 

I recently completed four years’ service on the city council of Rutland, Vermont, where I earned the respect of my fellow public servants on both sides of the political aisle for my principled discussion, listening skills, thoughtful attention to facts and due process, and ability to help craft solutions to complicated problems by attending to the needs of all. 

I am currently the chair of the Rutland City Planning Commission, overseeing the complete rewrite of the zoning bylaws of the city. In this work, I have made sure that people with varied and opposing views are at the table, because I know that creating good policy depends upon incorporating the input of diverse representatives of the community. 

I was a teacher for many years, including five years teaching middle school math, and I currently volunteer, teaching English to asylum seekers and refugees from Central America and Afghanistan. I sing in the church choir, give occasional sermons, and enjoy hiking, writing, and playing the ukulele.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed you worked with middle schoolers for a while. That is good to hear. And math teachers are great.

    Can you say more about your relations to UU youth and young adults? Particularly the denominational leaders in General Assembly Youth Caucus and Young Adult Caucus? What have you learned about how youth and young adults feel about the direction of the UU movement and what their visions are for the future of the movement? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, Rebecca here. I have no experience at all with any caucus of GA, or any other identity-based group associated with the UUA. My entire experience in UUism has just been as an everyday UU and a leader in my own congregation. Just as when I became a teacher, and just as when I was elected to city council, if I am elected to the Board of Trustees, I'll have to learn fast.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You seem to be are a critic of UU anti racism and identity based initiatives. If that is the case and that does not come from firsthand experience then what do you base that on? And how would you work with all the UUs who support our UUAofC anti racism and identity based ministries ? Thank you Ms Mattis.

      Delete